Rome’s Major Government Buildings
Live In Rome & Italy
Travel Resources, City Guide, Classified Ads for Rome and Italy
Rome Travel >
Rome Museums > Rome’s Major Government Buildings
Rome’s Major Government Buildings
Palazzo del Quirinale
Since 1948 it has housed the offices and residence of the President of the Italian Republic. It used to be residence of noble families and summer residence of the Popes. Since 1871 it became residence of the King of Italy. The Savoys decorated the palace with expensive tapestries, antique paintings and other furnishings from a variety of royal residences in Piedmont.
Piazza del Quirinale - phone 06 46 991 - fax 06 46 99 31 25
Internet: www.quirinale.it E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: Only Sundays 8.30-12.30. Closed in August and on most important holidays.
On June 2nd, Italian Republic Day, the gardens are open to the public. Admission Euro 5,00
In 1653 G.L. Bernini was charged with designing the palace by Pope Innocent X; it was later chosen as headquarters of the pontifical courts and in 1870 became the seat of the Chamber of Deputies. At the beginning of the twentieth century it was decided to build a new section at the back of the seventeenth- century palazzo to accommodate the new assembly hall. Several works of antique and contemporary art decorate the palace.
Piazza Montecitorio - phone 06 67 601
E-mail: email@example.com Internet: www.camera.it
Hours: 1st Sunday of each month 10-18. Schools and groups also on workdays on written request - fax 06 67 60 99 50. Admission free.
Once property of the Aldobrandini family, the palace was bought in 1659 by the Chigi family who enlarged it and made it one the most luxurious noble houses in Rome. Some of its rooms are still decorated with furniture, mirrors and paintings from the Chigis' collection. In 1917 the palace was sold to the Italian State and in 1961 it became the seat of the Prime Minister.
Piazza Colonna 370 - phone 06 67 79
Internet: www.governo.it Admission: only schools and associations on written request -
phone 06 67 79 31 11 - fax 06 67 89 952
The first palace dates back to the XV century but it was Giovanni de' Medici, the future Pope Leo X, who transformed it into a rich residence. In the XVIII century it was the seat of various papal offices and since 1871 it became the seat of the Italian Senate. The Senate chamber was built in the courtyard of the old papal post office. Extensive art collections and a valuable library still belong to the palace.
Piazza Madama 11 - phone 06 67 061
Internet: www.senato.it Hours: 1st Saturday of each month 10 - 18 (guided visits in Italian). Scools, groups and associations can book at phone 06 67 06 24 30. Admission free.
Palazzo della Consulta
The palace was built to a design by Ferdinando Fuga in 1732, after the demolition of an older building which housed the Ecclesiastical Court of the Consulta. During the Napoleonic era the building was used as the seat of the Prefecture of Rome and was later seat of the triumvirate government of Mazzini, Armellini and Saffi. Residence of Umberto and Margherita di Savoia, the heirs to the throne, after 1874 the palace housed various ministries. Since 1955 it has been the seat of the Constitutional Court .
Piazza del Quirinale 41 - phone 06 46 891
Hours: The palazzo is opened to the public only on special occasions. Court hearings are public and can be attended on written request.
|Rome’s Major Government Buildings|